Scotland strives to be 'the best place in the world to grow up' so that children grow up 'loved, safe and respected so they can fulfil their potential'.
To achieve this vision, Scoland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon commisioned an independent Care Review that listened to the experiences of over 5,500 care experienced infants, children, young people, adults and people working within the care system, and their thoughts on what needed to change.
In February 2020, the Care Review published seven reports, including 'The Promise' that sets out a vision for Scotland based on the following five foundations:
- Voice - Children must be listened to and meaningfully and appropriately involved in decision-making about their care, with all those involved properly listening and responding to what children want and need. There must be a compassionate, caring, decision-making culture focussed on children and those they trust.
- Family - Where children are safe in their families and feel loved they must stay – and families must be given support together to nurture that love and overcome the difficulties which get in the way.
- Care - Where living with their family is not possible, children must stay with their brothers and sisters where safe to do so and belong to a loving home, staying there for as long as needed.
- People - The children that Scotland cares for must be actively supported to develop relationships with people in the workforce and wider community, who in turn must be supported to listen and be compassionate in their decision-making and care.
- Scaffolding - Children, families and the workforce must be supported by a system that is there when it is needed. The scaffolding of help, support and accountability.
"Our ethos at Fosterplus is very much around providing continuity to the children and young people we care for, so they feel safe, secure and able to build nurturing relationships with their foster families while maintaining positive connections with their birth family too.
We achieve this by carefully matching children and young people with foster parents who can meet their individual needs and provide a loving home for as long as it's needed. We also ensure that our foster parents receive the support they need to overcome challenges and establish long-lasting relationships with the children they care for.
We're fully committed to #KeepingthePromise and are working hard to make ongoing enhancements to the services we deliver to children and young people in our care." Chrise Grundy Hoban, Head of Operations
Fosterplus South Team Delight in their Outstanding Result
September 11 2023
Fosterplus South is celebrating after receiving an ‘Outstanding’ rating following an official inspection from Ofsted. The latest result is a huge achievement for Fosterplus which achieved ‘outstanding’ in all areas.
Tax Cut for Foster Parents
March 20 2023
Chancellor Jeremy Hunt announces an increase in tax relief for foster carers, meaning a greater income for thousands of foster families.
Edinburgh Rugby Star Delivers Special Gift to Foster Child
March 14 2023
A 13-year-old fan enjoyed a special visit from his favourite player at Edinburgh Rugby Club, after his rugby ball was stolen at school.
Young Person Raises £240 For Homelessness
December 8 2022
A young person at Fosterplus has taken on a 20 mile cycling challenge to raise money for homelessness charity Social Bite.
Child in care raises over £1,000 for children’s hospice
June 8 2021
A young person in our care has raised over £1,000 for a children's hospice by cycling over 200km.
Project Linus Provides Comfort Blankets for Children in Care
May 20 2021
Our Milton Keynes fostering team comes together with Project Linus to share handmade comfort blankets with children in care.
Helping Children Deal with Bullying and Cyberbullying
November 27 2023
One of the biggest challenges young people face is bullying and cyberbullying. We discuss what this means, how to spot the signs and what to do to support your child.
Maintaining Your Mental Well-being as a Foster Parent
October 9 2023
Foster parents invest significant time and effort in safeguarding the mental well-being and happiness of the children in their care. However, it's essential to consider: Who is taking care of the foster parents themselves?
Black History Month 2023
October 6 2023
At Fosterplus, we are celebrating Black History Month. Download useful resources and get involved via our poetry competition.
How to Help Youth Aging out of Foster Care
September 18 2023
Most young people leave foster care at 18 years old. Unfortunately, a number of foster children are never able to reunite with their families, essentially leaving them alone in the world with little support. How can we help prevent the youth from aging out of the foster care system?
Meaningful Ways to Use a Spare Room
August 18 2023
Here are five ideas to inspire you to transform your spare room into a purposeful and (potentially) life-changing space.