Scotland strives to be 'the best place in the world to grow up' so that children grow up 'loved, safe and respected so they can fulfil their potential'.
To achieve this vision, Scoland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon commisioned an independent Care Review that listened to the experiences of over 5,500 care experienced infants, children, young people, adults and people working within the care system, and their thoughts on what needed to change.
In February 2020, the Care Review published seven reports, including 'The Promise' that sets out a vision for Scotland based on the following five foundations:
- Voice - Children must be listened to and meaningfully and appropriately involved in decision-making about their care, with all those involved properly listening and responding to what children want and need. There must be a compassionate, caring, decision-making culture focussed on children and those they trust.
- Family - Where children are safe in their families and feel loved they must stay – and families must be given support together to nurture that love and overcome the difficulties which get in the way.
- Care - Where living with their family is not possible, children must stay with their brothers and sisters where safe to do so and belong to a loving home, staying there for as long as needed.
- People - The children that Scotland cares for must be actively supported to develop relationships with people in the workforce and wider community, who in turn must be supported to listen and be compassionate in their decision-making and care.
- Scaffolding - Children, families and the workforce must be supported by a system that is there when it is needed. The scaffolding of help, support and accountability.
"Our ethos at Fosterplus is very much around providing continuity to the children and young people we care for, so they feel safe, secure and able to build nurturing relationships with their foster families while maintaining positive connections with their birth family too.
We achieve this by carefully matching children and young people with foster parents who can meet their individual needs and provide a loving home for as long as it's needed. We also ensure that our foster parents receive the support they need to overcome challenges and establish long-lasting relationships with the children they care for.
We're fully committed to #KeepingthePromise and are working hard to make ongoing enhancements to the services we deliver to children and young people in our care." Chrise Grundy Hoban, Head of Operations
Child in care raises over £1,000 for children’s hospice
June 8 2021
A young person in our care has raised over £1,000 for a children's hospice by cycling over 200km.
Project Linus Provides Comfort Blankets for Children in Care
May 20 2021
Our Milton Keynes fostering team comes together with Project Linus to share handmade comfort blankets with children in care.
Celebrating Foster Parents Who Are Keeping Siblings Together
April 7 2020
We are celebrating inspiring foster parents who are keeping siblings in care together.
Fostering Assessments with Fosterplus during social distancing
April 6 2020
Read how Fosterplus are assessing new foster parents during the Covid-19 government restrictions.
Fosterplus Donates Over 300 Items to Food Banks This Christmas
December 20 2019
Read how Fosterplus have been collecting food to help those in need during the festive season.
10 Positive Behaviour Strategies in Foster Care
May 16 2022
It’s a good idea to learn some of the best strategies for dealing with challenging behaviour before you foster. Discover our top 10 positive behaviour management strategies for children in foster care.
Difference Between Short and Long Term Fostering
April 4 2022
When people decide to foster, they may choose between short and long term fostering. Learn what the difference is to make the right choice.
How to Support Your Own Children When Fostering
March 28 2019
If you're thinking of becoming a foster parent, read some great advice from our experienced foster carers on how to support your own children when fostering.
Things to do on the First Day with a Foster Child
March 28 2019
Our foster carers share advice for welcoming your first foster child and what to do on that first day.
How to Prepare for Your First Foster Child
March 28 2019
Foster carers share their advice and tips for welcoming your first foster child.